Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, January 25, 2019

Day One sailing to Pago Pago

We had our smoothest sailing yet overnight and we both slept soundly through it. We didn't wake up until after 7 am with sunlight streaming around the balcony drapes. Luckily we had no schedule today and we could afford to laze. I have to say that yesterday for some reason for the first time since we boarded that I felt a sense of home and comfort and place. I guess it has been my theory that it takes about 2 weeks to learn your way around a ship and maybe that it is. Otherwise the starkness of life on Fanning forced me to a place of finding familiarity and comfort onboard Serenity. I don't know.

We finally saw flying fish from Palm Court windows after breakfast this morning while waiting for the captain's 9am announcements. The captain said he is making 22 knots on 4 of 6 generators and on schedule. He says he expects to continue in the 6 to 8 foot seas we have now. He expects it to be warm and rainy in Pago Pago. He said we are south of the Equator and crossed about 6:30 am.

Clay looked up today's Waterside menus and it will be slim pickings for me. That's OK because I could stand to skip a few meals. My limiting of my breakfasts and lunches doesn't seem to be helping to keep me from getting fatter. Oddly enough my pants are growing! I of course brought all elastic waists. I know elastic wears out or stretches as I have to continually replace my Sea Bands. But I have 2 pair of gray pants, one French Terry lounge style and one for evening casual meals. They both are falling down! I have safety pins cinching the waists for this trip and I had already put new elastic in the day pants!

Clay has developed a rating system for roughness. After breakfast and before he heads out for his morning walk, he goes out to the balcony railing. He is looking down to the Promenade deck on 7. He watches the walkers there from above. He said today was the first one board walk he had seen yet. Huh? He said prior to today it had been all 2 or 3 board walks. What? The Promenade deck like our balcony is floored with maybe 3 to 4 inch wide boards. He said today the ship was only swaying enough that people's feet were landing one board away from where they lifted it instead of 2 or 3 boards away. Ah! He walked on the Promenade deck himself today. He admitted that he rested at the front of the ship after every lap until he saw a flying fish. That caused some spry old ladies to lap him. I had to laugh and tell him I hoped they weren't on canes. He refused to answer that!

We kind of grazed through the Marketplace buffet for lunch. I am planning to read this afternoon and skip the 1:30 pm movie "The Wonder Wheel". We've seen it before. I am working hard to finish my Crystal Serenity library book before we arrive in Auckland and I have to turn it in. We both finished reading John Sandford's latest Virgil Flowers novel of "Holy Ghost".  I am less than half way through Robert Galbraith's "Lethal White". Clay just picked up the latest Janet Evanovich. I believe Crystal's library has the best latest releases section of books I've ever seen on a ship. It probably has to do with keeping the library locked with a librarian and charging for checked out books that are not returned before cruise segment end.

We plan to go to Waterside and find a single course each for dinner. Dessert shouldn't be at problem.

Expecting nothing newsworthy nor any photos, I'll post this now.