Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Day One sailing to Fanning Island, Kiribati

We started sailing some time after we went to bed. After the drama of the tender last night, we both swore we could feel Serenity rocking at anchor which we both felt shouldn't be possible.

We slept to close to 7am this morning. We arrived at Marketplace after 8am so got a full breakfast option today. For me that meant I could get a spoon of granola for my yogurt. Yesterday a sheet of cling wrap separated me from my granola addition. Clay had a craving today that was disappointed. He wanted a sausage egg mcmuffin. He thought he should be able to put on together. So, he went to the egg station and ordered 1 egg fried over hard. He went to the toast station and got a toasted English Muffin. He picked up a couple pieces of sausage and a slice of orange cheese. He found that he'd been ignored by the egg chef and had 2 eggs conjoined with runny yolks. He was really mad like he'd wasted a wish.

The Captain announced that we are in 6-10 foot swells and it will probably stay that way to Kiribati.  Sometime over the next 2 days, we will cross the Equator, Hopefully they can find a protected anchorage for the tender operation there. Kiribati has no electricity or running water. There are no tours there. You can tender ashore and visit independently and tender back. I am hoping for some calm tendering. As Kiribati will be my 85th country visited, it is important that I set foot ashore.

Clay walked after breakfast and I rested my foot and typed blog entries. We went back to Marketplace for lunch where I had navy bean soup followed by broth with herb spaetzle. For dessert, I had grape fruit jello (it was grape!) and a caramel macadamia nut tart. Clay said it was the same one he had last night. Clay had a variety of roast pork, fish, sides and salad. He had mashed sweet potatoes with peanut butter with peanuts on it. He had Ben & Jerry's for dessert. We didn't go to the movie today. It was "Stronger" and we'd watched it shortly before leaving home. We read and worked on needlepoint all afternoon.

In other news, sunshine! We didn't see much our first week of sailing. Also, heading mostly west and being on the starboard side, our cabin faced north and stayed dark and wet. Since departing Maui, we've been heading south and being on the starboard side, our cabin now faces west. That means that all afternoon, we've had full sunshine on our balcony and in our cabin. This is what Clay has been waiting for and he was out there soaking it up for hours.

Tonight is Formal night. We plan to dress and eat in Waterside. We don't have any other plans so I'll post this now. I don't think Clay has any photos today.