Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Sea Day 8

We had planned to sleep in this morning, but Clay woke me with the light from his tablet in bed at 6:45am. I got up and shaved my legs. The bathroom is so small, the shower is so small, on these R-class ships that you can't shave your legs in the shower. I use the bathmat, the sink and a towel on the toilet lid. It was tricky because as the Captain said at noon, "we are experiencing some pitching. Hold on." We have been sailing along in sight of the coast of Mexico all day. We have had some of every weather except cold. It has been hot and sunny, foggy and rainy, all with starboard broadside swells. Other than land off the port side and a few ships, there hasn't been much to see. Clay thought he might have seen a sea turtle. We've watched 3 TV movies today. It has been a quiet, lazy day for us. We had breakfast in Terrace and lunch in Terrace. We have dinner reservations at Toscano tonight. We have one more reservation each in Polo and Toscano before the end of the cruise.

A few nights ago, when it first got really warm and clear we went out on the top deck and tried to star gaze. The next night after lights out we went out on our own balcony and had a much better view of stars. The moon has been gradually growing from a tiny sliver. But the real news is that the last time from the balcony, I could swear I'd seen the Southern Cross. I dismissed it as wishful thinking since I didn't think it was visible in the Northern Hemisphere. I was wrong. It is visible south of 25 degrees latitude. Who knew?

Tomorrow we have to set an alarm. Our tour meets at 7:35am. This is for Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.
Ironically the Destinations Service Manager gave her televised port talk about it and said the reason for stopping at this port is to visit Antigua. Unfortunately, Oceania canceled both their all day shore excursions at this port a couple of moths ago. Even though they moved all the tour departure times from 10 am or so to 7:30 am or so, they did not put the full day tours back on  offer. We booked the Colonial Antigua at a Glance which was originally a 5 hour tour and they have now altered to a 6 hour tour. I suppose the onboard destinations people had to deal with the customer fallout and that was the best they could do. I am very disappointed that this will constitute my first, and perhaps only, visit Guatemala. Oh well. This will be my 78th country visited.

I will assume that nothing else noteworthy will happen today and post this now.