Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Sea Day 6

By my count this is our 6th sea day though that counts Hubbard Glacier day so some might not. If we couldn't get off the ship, I define it as a sea day. Today is also the half way point of our days aboard until Miami, counting Miami which technically shouldn't count as we'll be off before 9am. Anyway. That's where we are. It looks like the next segment has even more sea days if you count the Panama Canal crossing day which I guess by my definition it is. We like lots of sea days. They're relaxing. So we picked a nice mix. The only bad news is the 3 Central America ports all together with no sea days in between. I am still sad that our days in those ports are so short that we won't really get to see anything of note in Guatemala and Nicaragua. Oh well.

Today was a beautiful day weather-wise and in sailing terms (for those who don't like rough seas). The Captain said in his noon announcement that the weather was like yesterday's but, and I quote, "Thank God the swells are gone." Amen!

We moved the clocks forward an hour last night so got a short night's sleep. We  slept  in and went to Terrace for breakfast after 8am. There were very few people there so I guess everyone was off to a late start. We spent an hour or more sitting up front in Horizons. Saw nothing, absolutely nothing, but sea and sky. Brianna had gotten in new cosmetic sized needlepoint kits and I got one. I may have done this pattern before as it seems familiar. I don't think it matters. We rewatched a movie in the cabin before lunch. We went back to Waves Grill for another outdoor lunch. They were having an Italian Buffet in Terrace and Italian theme in GDR. Clay wanted the Surf N Turf sandwich. We recall Waves serving a steak sandwich but now there is surf & turf. He didn't like the ratio of lobster to steak. He took the lobster off and ate it separately. Now he says he'll order it again without the surf and double turf. I don't know when he plans to do that. I don't love Waves and we are not booking a future cruise with Oceania. We'll see.

I took a long nap this afternoon. Clay went to use the treadmill in the gym. He said he immediately saw 2 whales blows. He sat on the balcony with binoculars and studied the ocean for more but no luck. It has been days since we have seen any sign of sea life other than the sea lions at Ensenada and sea birds. It can be hard to imagine the vast stretches of ocean are teeming with life when for days and miles we see nothing.

Tonight we have reservations at Toscana. That is why we were avoiding the restaurants at lunch so as not to eat pasta all day. I will assume nothing else noteworthy will happen and post this now. I am sure that Clay has no photos today.