Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Monday, September 18, 2017

Return to Astoria, OR

photos

We spent a couple of days and a night here during/around a Cruise West Columbia & Snake Rivers cruise and road trip less than a decade ago. So, like Sitka we had seen and done most of what there is to see and do. There is a Fort Stevens outside of town that we missed last time so we had booked O's excursion there today but it was canceled. We planned to buy a local transit pass described on Astoria's tourism/cruise visitor website but they did not charge today. Route 11 ran complimentary. That was nice but also reasonable since it only stops right downtown and at the Maritime Museum and the ship. It rained pretty much all day and it turns out they don't run the waterfront trolley in the rain. So it was mostly walking for us. We took the free shuttle to downtown and then walked all the way out to 39th Street and Rogue Ale. I wanted to see the sea lions and once we heard them, we kept walking. By then, we were only .32 miles from Rogue Ale so we kept walking while it wasn't raining and we ate lunch there and it was good. Clay had halibut fish & chips which was good. I had a cup of chili and a root beer float, both good. Along the way we missed the worst of the morning rain taking a grand tour of the Liberty Theater which we had not been inside before. We were in and out of the mostly thrift and antique shops along Commercial St. We bought some chocolates at one shop. I took a hard fall today. Fortunately in muddy grass so it was mostly a soft landing and I just skirted the raspberry brambles. The wind took my umbrella and I chased it. I fully understand now that not only are my dancing days over, but also my fast walking and running days. I caught the umbrella by stepping on it, sliding and then falling on top of it. So, no matter how this ended the umbrella was a loss. I should have just let it go but that would have been terrible littering so I went after it. I am a little scraped up, hands and arms and will probably have some bruises but I am OK. I bought a new tiny umbrella at the Maritime Museum as we waited for the shuttle bus back to Regatta. We got back to the ship around 4pm and saw 3 available washers in the laundry room. By the time we returned, there was only 1 left but I squished 2 loads worth in there without separating colors and whites. It turned out fine, no harm done. Dryers take twice as long as washers so that is a problem. I just took all our clothes out when our 30 minutes on high was up and now we have laundry hung all over the cabin. The captain has just announced that the weather is really bad in our onward path and to be very careful as we leave the Columbia River and sail south on the open Pacific Ocean. He was talking about 13 swells like they were 30 foot swells. Clay says it is because he said the big swells and high winds were going to hit us broadside on the starboard side. He told us on the starboard side to positively keep our balcony doors shut! In other bad news, we have dinner reservations at 6:30pm (a half hour after sailing at Toscana on deck 10 aft. At least it is on the port side.

Last night we had dinner at Polo. I love the fruit jellies they give there. Tonight in Toscana I love the selection of olive oils and balsamic vinegars they give with bread. It is the only time I eat bread onboard. I will try to get online and post now.