Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Sea Day 10

I think the captain said it best, these swells are something else. So, clearly the cold fronts he is talking about are here. The temperature has not made it out of the 60sF today. The swells according to the captain's noon announcement are over 22 feet. I think some of them might be a lot more. We have gone from rocking and rolling to something more akin to a fair thrill ride. We had both breakfast and lunch downstairs in the GDR and the way things were tipping and sliding there, I can't imagine eating upstairs. We have turned east around the far south west point of Australia and by my reckoning have left the Indian Ocean and entered the Southern Ocean on our way for the Great Australian Bight. The captain had no words of wisdom, or expectations, of when conditions might change for either the worse or better.

We went to the popcorn movie of Rabbit Proof Fence. I'd seen it and it was well attended. There were some disturbing hull pounds up front and low as we bounced and rolled. I finally gave it up this afternoon and exchanged the Relief Band for Sea Bands and took a nap. Clay walked. He's back now. You can believe this or not, but we are actually considering making an onboard booking for a future cruise during all this. This being the downside of cruising, rough seas. Intellectually, you know to expect it as a possibility, but usually we are months or years after a cruise before planning another when you've had or I've had a chance to forget what it is like. Intellectually I also know that my traveling/cruising days are numbered with the progression of the Parkinson's Disease and we've had a recent policy of not putting things off. Still. We are considering Vancouver to Miami via Alaska and the San Francisco and the Panama Canal. It would be 28 days, 10 sea days and give me 2 new countries Guatemala and Nicaragua. It would go a long way to completely my North American circumnavigation excepting Miami to New York. All of the North American circumnavigation except the North West Passage we completed are known to be rough sailing. So, it is either suck it up or stay home.

Well, we will definitely be in GDR for dinner tonight. Unless things change we'll be in GDR for all meals for the next 2 days! No photos today and I don't expect anything noteworthy so I'll post this now.