Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A rough lazy sea day

We have been due for a little down time and today we have gotten it. It has been so rough and the ship rocking so much it was a fit time for it. Clay is usually not bothered by motion sickness and he wasn't today. On the other hand, I have overmedicated and am still struggling. We went up to Terrace for breakfast and down to the Grand Dining Room for Jacques Bistro at lunch. We missed the Mexican buffet in Terrace for lunch. Clay went to a 10am talk. I missed it and fell asleep in the cabin. I needed it. Clay said there wasn't an empty seat in the room so I guess it was well attended. I planned to watch it on TV but it wasn't on. I managed to get a leftover needlepoint kit at the madness that was needlepoint this morning. I was hoping for one of the sizes that Crystal had last year, the reading glasses case or the tablet case but she only had 3 sizes and I didn't need to do another scissors case or coin purse. I got one of the cosmetic cases and I'm satisfied.

The Jacques Bistro lunch was jammed packed. I don't know if no one went to Terrace because of Mexican food or what. I wanted a Croque Monsieur which was described as having mornay sauce and traditionally has to be eaten with a knife and fork. But I got dry toasted ham and cheese fingers. Clay enjoyed his steak in peppercorn sauce. Neither of us thought the French fries qualified as the advertised shoestring. Clay had a vertical banana split for dessert and I had a burnt sugar flavored cheesecake.

We went to the 1:30pm Sirena Lounge movie where they had popcorn. The movie was Golden Years which we hadn't seen. It was OK. It was about a bunch of British pensioners who turn to bank robbery.

Tonight is the Captain's cocktail reception which we are debating attending. Who needs a drink that badly? We'll see. We are thinking about dinner tonight in the GDR. One because it is on a low deck and two because it looks like I can find something to eat. We did go to Sirena Lounge on deck 5 at 5:45pm. There was a long line waiting for the doors to open as we came down the stairs. Clay had a red wine he liked and I had nothing because that champagne the other night gave me a headache and the white wine was only Chardonnay. We went to dinner at the GDR after 6:30pm. We got a 2 top by the aft windows. There were swells over our heads back there! Dinner was good and again well attended. This is a marked difference from our time on Marina. The service was so bad in the GDR on Marina during our time aboard that at all 3 meals it was a ghost town. Lunch and dinner today in Sirena's GDR were packed with excellent service. Good to know.

For months Sirena showed on the Brisbane port schedule that we'd dock out at a grain terminal on an island outside the mouth of the river. The newsletter tonight says Brisbane Cruise Terminal so I looked at the Brisbane port schedule again and now it shows Portside. This is up the river and much nearer town. The newsletter also says that after docking at 8am that a complimentary shuttle will be available from 9:30am to 5:30pm running every 30 minutes. As Clay said, if you advertise a cruise that takes you to Brisbane then they ought to take you to Brisbane and not a half-hour away from Brisbane. So, this is good news. It wouldn't help people who've made earlier arrangements or plans but for us it should be fine. We just planned to walk around parts of town we missed last trip.

I think Clay said he had no photos today.