Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, February 1, 2019

Day Two sailing to New Zealand

We are still in 8 foot seas. The captain says to expect the same to Bay of Islands. He says they still can't keep water in the swimming pool. We expect more sun, clouds and rain at various times of the day. It is probably in the low 70s F with humidity about the same, so fairly pleasant weather with lots of rainbows.

Last night's dinner was a disaster. I guess we've managed to miss all but the 1st formal night in Waterside by being in specialties until last night. Our waiter explained that formal dinner in Waterside is very popular. It is a mystery to us why. It was not an appetizing menu, but I guess it did have caviar and lobster. Neither of us like either of those things, so it is lost on us. Anyway, the room and staff were overwhelmed. We ordered a starter and entree each. We waited over a half hour between 1st course dishes removal and arrival of steaks. Clay suggested we each cut our steaks to check doneness while the waiter when to fetch the bernaise sauce. I said I wasn't waiting for another dish, whatever was in front of me was my dinner. His steak was well done! So I cut mine and it was not well done. Fortunately we could just switch plates with each other! After we finished our entrees we sat with the plates for 10+ minutes before deciding there was nothing on the dessert menu we needed to stay late for. It was past the time we are normally back in the cabin. We got up and left. Our waiter freaked out. It wasn't all his fault, I suspect the kitchen was partly to blame as well. We went to Bistro to look for a dessert. Bonus! The chocolate fountain had strawberries and marshmallows!

We had a nice weekend breakfast upstairs at Marketplace today. I had pancakes and bacon. Clay had fried eggs to order. He went back for a muffin and returned with a gigantic chocolate croissant. It was warm! He shared it with me. We hadn't seen one like it before and it made a very special weekend breakfast.

The movie today is "Tea with the Dames". It is a documentary and we both think we'll pass. I have to finish our last library book, "Twenty-five Alive" to turn in by tomorrow.

Our forward neighbors got their suitcases delivered to the hall this morning. It is easy to forget that some passengers are on for shorter journeys. That probably explains the frenzy in the laundry room yesterday morning too. I don't think I've mentioned that there are a surprising number of multi-generational groups on board. There are. While it is only a segment, it has still been a 3 week cruise which ends in New Zealand. A big trip by any definition. For sure after our 2017 Down Under trip, we had never expected to return to any of the places we'll visit in New Zealand and Australia over the next month or so. Never say never...

We had a very lazy day today. Waterside was a better experience tonight. We need to try to avoid formal night dinners there in the future.

I figured out what happened to my foot, so hopefully after it gets better I can avoid it again. I guess for years as both my right hand and foot fist under, I try to flatten them out and put pressure on them to keep them flat. So yesterday when I had on shoes in the bus I remember not being able to get my foot out of the shoe to straighten my toes and I really put my left heel on top and pressed. As I kept doing it again today with bare feet, I realized I am not aware I'm doing it. It is just force of habit. But now it is painful. Anyway now I know how my foot got hurt and I can work at stopping that.

Tomorrow Bay of Islands, New Zealand. It is a tender port. We've been here before and done everything important locally and in the vicinity like glow worm caves, wood workers, cheese makers, honey makers, waterfalls, Hundertwasser toilets. So, we plan to tender in after the highest chance of rain has passed at 10 am and take the complimentary shuttle from Waitangi Tender Pier to the town of Paihia and get some NZ $, wander, and have lunch.