Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Cruising the Bass Strait

Today has been a bad day. It started about 11:55 pm when we left the leeward side of Tasmania and turned west into the Bass Strait. Presumably we missed much worse conditions when we rerouted and backtracked. I'd really have hated worse conditions! The captain and BOM Australia say we've been in 12 to 18 foot seas so I guess it hasn't been as bad as we were warned. The captain has never said that we can maintain our arrival schedule at Kangaroo Island. That is fine with us as we've been there in 2017 but I believe he'll make it there whether as early as 8am or not I don't know. We are on a ship's tour that starts at 12:45 pm so again we're not too worried. I am worried about tendering to Kangaroo Island unless the port at Penneshaw is more protected than I recall. We'll see.

Clay was up first and walked on the treadmill. The Promenade deck has been closed. It has been cold, windy and everything wet with sea spray. I made it to breakfast at Marketplace and waited in Palm Court til after 9am before returning to the cabin and giving up the struggle to maintain footing. Clay went to Trident Grill to bring me a toasted cheese sandwich with chips. Earlier at Bistro he snagged me a Portuguese tart. To keep it a bad day, I chipped a corner off a lower front tooth eating one of the Giant Freckles candies we bought in Richmond the other day. It doesn't hurt it just really bothers me. Clay says he has done this to more than 1 of his lower teeth and our dentist has quickly and easily repaired them so we'll hope I have the same luck when we get home.

We watched a movie on TV, we used computers, read and I did needlepoint. The ship had another galley tour at 4:30 pm that we skipped repeating. We have reservations at Umi Uma tonight. I have already had 4 meclizine and they are 1 a day pills! We'll hope I make it as it is one of my favorite meals onboard and we get a limited number of visits and I'd hate to waste one.

We made it to dinner but it is really rough and by now we both have headaches. We got a written and phone message from Destinations Services that our 12:45 pm tour is now scheduled for 1:45 pm due to our expected 1 hour delayed arrival. Our tour was supposed to be 4.5 hours and this tour also goes out in the morning. So, presumably our departure is pushed back to finish the morning tour. There was no word if Serenity will depart an hour late to give the afternoon tours their full time.

In good news, tonight we got gifts! First was a sweethearts valentine from our Signature Network hosts. That was a sweet gesture. After dinner we found a eucalyptus & lavender stuffed koala bear. Cute and not too smelly!

More tomorrow.