Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, February 22, 2019

Cruising the Indian Ocean, Day 2

It was very calm and smooth sailing yesterday afternoon. Overnight it got rougher. It woke me and I had to put on Seabands and sleep in them. It is still rougher this morning. Just enough to cause balance problems and give a headache. The captain says it is variable swell from 4 to 12 feet today. He says the pitching is still keeping the water out of the swimming pool. It is also keeping me from doing my yoga. If it calms in the afternoon again, I'll plan to do it then. Since Clay got skunked on marine mammal spotting yesterday he is committed to watching today even though the chop will make it harder to spot anything. Also for some reason we have sunshine on our balcony, so I'm staying inside for now. We are heading slightly north of west so I'm not sure I understand the sunshine.

Clay plays to attend a cooking demo this morning. We have Magic Castle at Sea tickets for 3 pm. We really plan to attend this time. Another casual night and we've approved the Waterside menu and will go tonight.

Last night I received the 2nd sterling silver charm to go on the stainless steel bangle bracelet. We can't figure out how the additional charms should be attached (not that I ever think I'd wear it, but...) so I guess when I have all 3 extra I'll take the thing as a project to Facets to see how it is meant to be done. The one charm that came attached, the WC 2019 logo, is in a separated section. It is not clear if all 4 go there or are allowed to drift around the rest of the circle. We'll see. Oh, charm 2 is a kangaroo with no writing on it. The letter from the WC hostess has some dates on it to reserve. The captain's reception was last night. We saw him arrive at Umi Uma to host a table for that formal night. We never attend these. The 26th is the Crystal Society Party. We usually try to attend these, but have missed the last 2. We think it is because this gift letter is the only notice of the Society Party that we've gotten and we just forget. That doesn't seem right to either of us though as it seems there should be an actual invitation the day before or something. The White Party (people wear white and dance in the atrium) is the 28th and we avoid it. The Special World Cruise Event is a Mardi Gras Jazz Spectacular on March 6 at 7:45 pm and 9:30 pm in Galaxy Lounge. I'm pretty sure we'll give that a pass as it sounds like a nightly entertainment program and not WC caliber special. Though after sitting through the kickoff gala and hearing about the Auckland Military History Salute our expectations are pretty low right now. Finally this segment's Grand Gala Buffett is 3/9, to be avoided.

Still no nonfat Greek yogurt (other than lemon) for breakfast. I broke routine and had 2 raspberry pancakes with bacon on this Friday. I don't know what I'll be doing daily longterm on the entire 2nd half of this cruise if they don't get good yogurt restocked.

Clay didn't think much of the cooking demo and left early to catch the delivery of Portuguese tarts at Bistro around 10:30 am. For a signature item, Crystal serves a very limited daily quantity and if you don't see them come out, you're probably not getting one.

We also made it to the Magic Castle at Sea show at 3pm. This time it was Joe Turner and it was a much better show than the 1st segments. We enjoyed it.

Seas have remained choppy all day. Either there were too many whitecaps for us to see any animals or we otherwise missed them. We didn't even really see any birds today. Yesterday we saw flying fish and usually rougher water means more flying fish but we didn't see any of those either.

I'll assume nothing else newsworthy and post this now. Oh, Clay tells me we have just passed the mid-point of this cruise.