Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sailing the Beaufort Sea


Wednesday, August 24, 2015

Clay got up early and did the laundry and his treadmill time before I woke up. I was slow to start. We woke to 30F and thick fog. It warmed up to 36 to 37F by noon but the fog remained the same. The seas remained relatively calm though so that was good. We had breakfast in Lido and then I went to gentle yoga in Palm Court. Sea watch was on for that hour as well but with the heavy fog they spotted nothing. I went to chair yoga in Stardust. I went to Galaxy at 11am for a polar bear lecture but even though I got there 10 minutes early I couldn’t find an empty seat. I came back to the cabin to find Clay on the love seat watching a movie. He changed the channel and we watched the lecture on TV. After the captain’s noon announcement, we headed to the main dining room for lunch. The captain announced that they were planning something special for the Smoking Hills. (You’ll have to Google that.) Hopefully the fog will burn off for that. We both had sausage lentil soup for lunch. Clay had a massive BLT that he could only eat half of it. I had the pasta special. Clay had French Apple Pie a la mode and I had the Viennese coffee sundae. It was a really big lunch for us both.

We plan to go to the 2:30pm popcorn movie later. It is “A Walk in Woods”. We’ve seen it but I could watch it again and it looks like we’d only be missing the fog. No plans after that until the 5pm expedition recap which should be interesting, or not. We have main dining room reservations at 6pm with a very dull menu from my point of view. Clay is looking forward to the soft shell crab appetizer.

We enjoyed a 2nd viewing of A Walk in the Woods as much as the first. The fog had lifted or thinned a bit around noon to 2pm but at 4:30pm it is back with a vengeance.  I took my parka out on a trial run. It is very cold and windy outside. The parka seems warm enough and fits well enough. Clay got the original Napapijri that they promised us all. His has the dates embroidered on the chest and 2 cruise logo patches. Mine is Stormtech and only has the polar bear patch. Our understanding on being told by those who boarded in Vancouver is that the Stormtech batch were ordered after they tried to deliver the parkas to those who boarded in Vancouver and they mostly did not fit. I am happy enough with mine.  I don’t expect to have anything else to report for the evening. If we have Internet now, I’ll post this now. If anything else happens, I’ll type it up tomorrow.