Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, August 19, 2016

A rough first sea day sailing to Dutch Harbor, Unalaska


Thursday, August 18, 2016

photos

I’ll start with dinner in Prego. Clay loved it. Said it was his best meal of the trip. He had frito misto (combination fried seafood) followed by lamb chops and the cheese plate. Prego delivered a small petit fours-type plate with 2 chocolates, 2 orange jellies and 4 pistachio biscotti. I had caprese salad followed by gnocchi with marinara and white peach sorbet. Mine was not great, not even very good. They also had breads and olive oil, sea salt and garlic dips. Those were good.

The ship evidently doesn’t have straight herbal teas. The chamomile has citron. The mint has verbena. This morning we went to the main dining room and the herbal tea menu on the menu had Peppermint listed last. Since I actually wanted caffeine this morning I didn’t try for it, but I will make sure to ask this evening in the main dining room. So why were we in the formal dining room on Thursday?

We sailed at about 6pm on schedule last night. The further we traveled from Kodiak the bigger the swells got and the rougher the ride. We did not make it to the 8:30pm movie. We made it back to the cabin and I went straight to bed. Clay was not far behind me. Clay got us up at 8am. That was a long night’s sleep! It was rough all night and there was a loud resounding ship-rattling bang/boom about every 3 swells. No idea what it was but it did not make for a long and restful sleep. So we missed all the morning activities and went to breakfast at the lowest point. I had eggs benedict and Clay had eggs with corned beef hash. We got seated at a large single table set for 2 between the kitchen door and a window. We liked it. It was private and quiet. It is not clear how the reservation vs fixed dining works and whether we’ll always be seated at the same table we were at the first night. I think we’ll just always be somewhere in that vicinity. I guess it doesn’t matter and we’ll find out how it works as we go. Tonight is one of 2 formal nights and we will eat in the main dining room again for that.

When we came out of breakfast, we found a long line of people and beyond a crush of a mob scene. It looked like eve of Black Friday shopping at Wal-Mart! We figured out that it was the NWP 16 logo shopping event that I had noticed a small mention of in the Daily Reflections. We had forgotten all about. As we tried to get near the t-shirts, a man in front of me told me that all that was left was small and medium and they had just opened 15 minutes earlier. There were a lot of people milling farther from the table with piles of clothes trying things on, so I milled waiting for them to bring things back. I grabbed an XXL white shirt from a man returning it to the table. Clay didn’t like it. It was silky performance material with the ports listed on the back. You could read through from the front; it was see through! $35. Clay didn’t want it. They had big coffee mugs and only 4 left when I grabbed one. Clay got in the 30 or so person payment line with it. I kept watch on the t-shirts. I talked to a worker who said either they didn’t ship them XXLs or else they’d been stored somewhere else because they couldn’t find them, but that the largest men’s sizes of the navy blue cotton with the map on the back should be coming up from storage. I went to tell Clay as he progressed and he pointed out the mug was only $4.85 and a great deal. I said I should see if I can get another because I was thinking if I ever broke it I’d be sick about it. I went back to the table again and there were about 8 mugs there now. I turned over everyone and they all had the price sticker torn off. It didn’t matter because I had one with a sticker. Clay decided he wanted to leave at 10:45am to go to the first expedition lecture. I offered to stay and buy my own mugs. It was so frenetic with 3 people at a time being checked out that I didn’t get to see the slip I had signed until I walked away and looked in my bag. $29.90! By this time, I had heard a bunch of people in the back of the line talking about XL and they had blue shirts so I went to the back side under the stairs where a woman was squatted with a new box. I asked and she had men’s XL blue cotton shirts. I asked her about XXL and she said they couldn’t find them. I had her open it and it looked pretty big to me so I took it and got back at the end of the 20-30 people in the payment line. It was quieter and 1 at a time at the register this time so I asked about the mugs and showed them the price sticker. 2 of the checked it consulted and thought that price was too low. I agreed it was a great deal and said that was why I got 2 instead of one and that was the price I had expected to be charged. They agreed with that last part and refunded my $29.90 and charged me $9.70 for 2 plus Clay’s $35 t-shirt. The t-shirt fit Clay fine and we’ll hope it doesn’t shrink.

Clay couldn’t get a seat for the lecture so went back to the cabin and watched it on TV. I watched it an hour later on TV. They had needlepoint kit giveaways at 10:45am. I got one and when I found Clay in the cabin I sent him back to get his allowed one. Now it is lunch time. It is a rocky sea. I expect it will get rougher before it gets calmer and that is not a happy thought!

We went to the main dining room again for lunch as it is the lowest spot to eat. Clay had fish & chips and a Newcastle draft. He said it was nice. I ordered a grilled chicken breast with natural gravy, brown rice and steamed vegetables from the light menu. It tasted like it came from the light menu. I wasn’t really hungry anyway. Seasickness just seems to go easier on a stomach constantly a little full rather than an empty one, so that’s my goal. I should say right now that I used the scales in the Fitness Room yesterday and according to it I had gained a full even 10 pounds since we left home only a week again. I can only pray that they have an equipment calibration problem and it has nothing to do with me. For dessert, Clay had a Key lime sundae that he really liked and I had a fat-free frozen peach yogurt. It was soft-serve swirled into a margarita glass. It was ok. I also took the opportunity to order a Peppermint tea since it was on this restaurant’s menu at breakfast. I got Verbena Mint. Tomorrow a stop on our free HOHO shuttle of Dutch Harbor is supposed to be across the street from a Safeway. If I want to have any herbal tea (without citrus!) for the next month, I will need to buy some tomorrow.

Tonight is formal night. It is 5:10pm. Clay just returned from the Excursions Desk to report that the lobby is full of people in tuxs. He did not bring a tux. He did not even bring a suit as when we packed he said he could barely close the trousers and after a week of restaurant food he wouldn’t be able to wear it. So the dressiest he has is a sports coat and slacks and a tie. Hopefully that is going to suffice.

We went to see the movie we skipped last night at 2:30pm. We enjoyed it and they served everyone who wanted a small tub of popcorn. You had to bring your own drink! Thankfully Clay had brought a bottle of water.

Here is a link to Crystal’s official blog of the NWP 16 trip. Hopefully, if you remove the last bit it will always take you to the latest entry. I don’t have enough Internet time to experiment with it. Sorry. http://blog.crystalcruises.com/kodiak-whale/

Here is a link to what I think today’s excursion lecturer was referring as a signal from the beacon they installed atop Serenity to track us in real time. Tim Soper called it an expedition tracker. http://10.3.16.6/cruiseshow/

Ah, no the newsletter they delivered tonight has the link he was referring to in his lecture. This is better than the link I posted above that we have onboard without Internet. https://my.yb.tl/crystalserenity

So, back from dinner we found a Crystal pin and 2 Crystal tote bags on the bed. I think that might have been a mistake as it was welcoming us back and that seems excessive since we only left the cabin for meals, a movie and shopping all day. They are nice tote bags!

Dinner was alright. It was much busier tonight than our first night. I guess that was because there was caviar, oysters and lobster on the menu. We both ordered the oysters appetizer so Clay got 6. Clay had Alaskan Rock Fish which the guy sitting at the table beside Clay had caught fishing out of Seward before. He showed him a photo of a large orange fish on his phone. I had beef tenderloin. I should have ordered sides with it since I got 2 slices of beef, 6 green peas on the half pod, 3 daubs of pureed carrots and a small puddle of what the menu called potato mousseline. We both drank a French Chablis tonight. I have failed to mention but we have liked all the wines they have poured so far. All are better than what we pour at home! Clay had flourless chocolate cake and I had Valrhona Chocolate and raspberry gateau which was actually a kind of chocolate mousse atop a ladyfinger type crust with raspberry jelly down the middle. It was good. We also ordered petit fours since we didn’t see them or get offered them the first night in the dining room. We had a chocolate covered strawberry, a chocolate coated cluster of hazelnuts, a white chocolate covered cluster of almonds and a little green frosted thing the waiter called an éclair that had a ladyfinger type inside with marzipan (maybe) filling. They were all good I guess. I ate the strawberry.

The seas have calmed down! Yeah! Tomorrow we are in Dutch Harbor. The itinerary says we are at anchor. The complimentary tour information here says we are docked. Tomorrow’s Reflections says we’ll be docked. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. We had pre-reserved a space on a complimentary tour here for tomorrow. We got a letter and tickets entering our cabin on day one that said they could not arrange enough transportation so they were running a HOHO bus for ALL passengers and providing all passengers with free tickets to the 2 museums where the shuttle bus will stop. The forecast is for no rain! It didn’t rain on the ship all afternoon so fingers crossed. So, we expect 55F and overcast tomorrow. That sounds pretty good.

photos