Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Kodiak


Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Photos

I had a good night’s sleep last night. The bed was comfortable and the duvet was not too hot. The pillows were 2 floppy and thin. I will try to ask for firmer pillows. Clay is opposed to this. I don’t really care what he thinks but I guess he thinks I should. I don’t know how Clay slept. He was up hours past the time I went to bed for once. He found after we boarded Serenity that they block Photobucket. So after just a couple of days using it, he had to switch to Flickr. The Flickr display looks nicer to me if he can figure out how to separate photos from different days into different files. Stay tuned.

We were supposed to sail at 9pm. A bit after 10pm was the last time I checked and we hadn’t started yet so I don’t know how long we were delayed. It didn’t slow us down as we docked in Kodiak at 9am this morning right on schedule. It was 50F and blowing heavy rain all morning. We were waitlisted for a hiking excursion but learned last night that we never cleared the waitlist and couldn’t go. Never been luckier! The ship cleared for going ashore at 9:30am. Since we had just sailed from Seward, I don’t know why there was a 30-minute clearance process. We were ashore by 10am and back aboard around noon. It wasn’t that cold but man was it raining. Our Halifax Nova Scotia rain hats were much coveted and complimented. They are certainly the most useful souvenirs we ever bought. We rode the free shuttle school bus the 1.5 miles to the Visitor Center. We visited the Baranov Museum in the oldest Russian built building in Alaska. $5pp We visited the Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox church. Donation We visited the Alutiiq Museum. $7pp Lastly, we visited the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Donation

We’d had enough by then and they said the only way to view wildlife was by boat or air and we weren’t interested in that so we caught the next shuttle bus back to Serenity. We decided to see about laundry. It is all the way forward on our deck 7. It was empty! There were at least 4 washers and 5 dryers available. We each loaded a machine and left as they started up at 12:20pm. We decided to eat at Trident Grill upstairs for speed. It was good for me. Clay had a chili dog with chili made with bell peppers which sounds disgusting. The fries were very good and served in paper lined tiny fryer baskets. I had a very nice grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Clay was upset about the lack of yellow mustard. I told him he should ask for yellow mustard instead of Dijon and he snorted. They don’t know what you want if you don’t tell them.
My parka was delivered today. It was too large. I was able to quickly change it for one size smaller which is still large by manageable. I discovered that the fur hood ruff is detachable!

Forty minutes later I was back in the laundry room and the washers were not finished. I think it took about 45 minutes. Dryers took about 30 minutes. I plan to go to 2 non-aerobic exercise classes starting at 4pm. Clay is out doing his daily walk either on a treadmill or the Promenade deck. We have dinner reservations at Prego tonight. I wasn’t too impressed with the menu. We’ll see. We plan to go see “The Lady in the Van” movie in the theater tonight at 8:30pm. I will go ahead and try to post this now then. I don’t know if Clay has any photos for today!

Photos