Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sailing the Gulf of St. Lawrence


Sunday, September 11, 2016

The seas have calmed considerably when I wake up. I look out and we are nearing the Newfoundland coast. Around 8am, we turned slightly right and entered the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. We can see land on both sides. Around 1pm, we saw what will probably be our last ice berg of the trip. Clay says our last iceberg ever! That’s a bit depressing. We went up to Lido for breakfast. We both went up to Palm Court after. We could see a lot of shipping traffic which has been absent for a long time. I did 9am gentle yoga. At 10am we both attended the Cineflex talk by our expedition operator, Ron Chapple. It was fascinating. All the camera equipment he has fitted on the ship is worth about $500, 000. He told us his company does all the aerial photography for the TV series Hawaii Five-O. After that I took my nearly completed needlepoint project to Miyako and at last she offered me another kit. Unfortunately, she did not, as promised, save me the tablet cover Clay had requested. She only had 3 choices left. I didn’t want to repeat the size I just finished. Choice 2 was a half-spectacles case, which I had not seen before, but which was a nice size. Choice 3 was what I had thought was the most coveted, the Crystal logo pillow top. I had wanted a larger project but I didn’t love this one, plus it wasn’t a complete kit like the others as it was just a canvas. You have to finish it to make it anything like a pillow or else maybe frame it. Miyako showed me that another guest had told her they were putting NWP 16 around the center of theirs. I liked that idea of making a souvenir of the cruise that could be framed or made into a pillow. She sold me. So, if finally got a new kit, but not the one I had been working towards. Oh well.

Today Serenity put on a Sunday Jazz Brunch. What made it a jazz brunch? There was live jazz playing in the Crystal Plaza where the buffet tables were set up. There wasn’t any Bananas Foster or anything necessarily food themed with the jazz motif. Clay went and took photos after they started serving at 11:30am. We waited until after noon and went to Lido. The captain made his noon announcement and said we’d be in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence until we exit at Cabot Strait early tomorrow morning. He says we’re about half way to Bar Harbor where he expects to easily reach on schedule.

We plan to lounge in the cabin until 4:30pm. We have our tickets to Magic Castle at Sea in Pulse Disco then. We don’t really know what to expect other than a 20-guest magic show. We’ll see.

The captain says they are refilling the swimming pool and heating the water. It has been open more than closed for this sailing actually. It has seen a surprising amount of use I think. It is probably about 57F outside, but cloudy and drizzling all day so far. Still the weather is improving for us! Around 3pm we spotted several whale blows. We still haven’t seen any whale parts other than those bowhead tops by Smoking Hills.

Back from Magic Castle at Sea. It was just a fairly standard magic show. I’m not sure why they keep the audience so small. It would have been as effective to me with twice as many in the audience, but then I really don’t like magic. I think it is too sneaky.

Dinner in the main dining room tonight. Nothing exciting on the menu for either of us. We plan to go to the popcorn movie tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be as calm as today was. Tomorrow is our final sea day. It is also our 2nd and final formal night. We have reservations at Prego. We still have to dress up.