Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, September 2, 2016

Fjord & Glacier on Crocker Island


Friday, September 2, 2016

photos

We lost another hour last night. Literally. For every other time change Peace has had the TV on a channel with the time change directions on it but not last night and we just missed the little notice on Reflections. So we didn’t change our clocks or watches or devices! The good news is that Clay got up early to go to the gym and noticed that his device time was different than the wall clocks. So he came back and woke me at what I thought was 6am but he promised me was 7am. We were just making the turn into Crocker Bay. The seas had been choppy all night and it was 30F with a strong wind. The sun was trying to break through mostly cloudy skies. We had received Unexpected Adventure tickets last night and were still trying to decide whether or not to go. Yesterday we definitely made the right decision to refuse the fast boat at Beechey Island. The landing by zodiac on shore would have been worth it but $40 more to stay offshore in bad weather was definitely a no go. Today we won the lottery for 2 $149 zodiac tickets with no landing. Yesterday at the recap & briefing Tim Soper had said we would go up to the end of a fjord at Crocker Bay and find 2 tidewater glaciers. The shore excursion letter we got did not say that. It said we would pause off Crocker Island and have a 1-hour zodiac adventure without landing at 10:20am. So, when Clay first woke me up and I saw the water and weather, I said he could go without me that I’d return my ticket. After my shower when we could see how far up the fjord we had come and the glaciers and no more white caps, I decided to go. I was glad I went even though besides the tidewater glacier and some birds, we only saw some glimpses of seals. No one has told us what kind of seals are here. No one has told us the name of the tidewater glacier though I feel sure it must be named. I’ve never seen a glacier that wasn’t named. Tim Soper said last night that this is the furthest north we will travel on this cruise. We are at 74 degrees 53.74’ N 80 degrees 33.51’ W according to the navigation map on channel 53 on the TV. I will hope that is accurate. The navigation map on deck 12 outside Palm Court this morning showed Serenity and Shackleton both atop the glacier or the land so that must be off a little!

Last night we also got an invitation to a Crystal Society cocktail and dance party at 5:15pm today. Since there is a 5pm expedition briefing & recap, we’ll do that instead. I don’t remember if I said but only a few nights into this cruise we received 1 Crystal Society pin and 2 very nice, luggage quality Crystal Cruises tote bags for being Crystal Society members. I don’t know if it’s a mistake or if it is because of this being a grand voyage or if Crystal always considers you a Society member after only 1 to 3 nights. Whatever it is, it seems at least one of us is considered a Society Member.

It is 3:40pm and we are still holding at the glacier’s edge. They have had zodiacs out since about 9am. They started sending out fast boats this afternoon and helicopters have been coming and going all day. A couple in Palm Court told me that they had returned 4:30pm helicopter tickets so I expect we’ll be here until dinner time. The sun was out for a few hours today but it left this afternoon. The ice fog/low snow cloud crept up the fjord off and on all day but now we are pretty socked in. They made a good choice if visibility is going to be low. We wondered if this glacier is actually the same as the one around the corner in the fjord, if they are attached to one another back on the land. It seems plausible but we have not been told if they are one or two or the same, etc.

I don’t know why I had never read or thought about the Canadian archipelago being full of fjords. But it is. These fjord landscapes are as, or more spectacular, than anything we’ve seen in Norway, Chile or Alaska. The very barrenness of the land being north of the tree line may make the scenery even more dramatic as well as the fact that our weather has been so moody and atmospheric. It has been spectacular. I highly recommend a North West Passage cruise of whatever ilk you can get booked!

We only have plans for dinner and recap/briefing tonight so I will close. Oh, there were 2 alerts we missed sailing in this morning, a polar bear and a beluga whale so we’d like to be wildlife watching on the way out, but I guess it will depend. If I can get Internet now, I’ll go ahead and post this.

photos