Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Sunday, June 9, 2013

May 7 Disembark Lord of the Glens


Photos

Bags out any time from last night to before breakfast. Breakfast is 7am. Pay your bar bill which has been slipped under your door. Ours was about £9 for Clay’s 2 beers. I guess we made money by me being sick and on cold medicine and not drinking wine with dinner. Breakfast was as usual as best I remember. We definitely did not feel that we were being hustled out the door. It was a pretty calm, relaxed easy-going departure for most of the passengers as far as I could tell. The bus for the Inverness bus/train station was at 8:45am. Sadly, it was cold and rainy again this morning. Our new friends Victor & Miriam from Cornwall found us to give us their contact information and invite us to visit them in Cornwall. That was very gracious, but I am not sure whether I’ll make another transatlantic flight. (I say that and as I am posting these entries Clay is in Amsterdam via Reykjavík. Every day he has called and been all fired up about flying back to London and traveling around Europe by train. I thought we had just agreed that was a really exhausting way to travel.)

We walked to the train station and just parked on a bench for the 1 hour wait for our train. Magna Carta staff had advised us to take the 10:45am train to Edinburgh, but we could have made the 9:20am train with the Great Rail group from the Lord of the Glens. Better safe than sorry though, I guess.


This was another ScotRail train. We had bought our tickets online from home and we paid £11.30pp or £22.60. We had forward facing seats this time, so that was good. But we were in an even smaller table booth configuration which we really don’t like. It was beautiful weather all the way to Edinburgh and it was like a traveling postcard. I saw a red-banged cow in a field. I saw a deer without antlers. I saw several families of pheasants. We saw cows and horses, but mostly sheep and lambs! Everything was backed by snowcapped mountains and very scenic.

We got to Edinburgh about 2:20pm. We got all turned around trying to find our direction out of the Waverly Station. What is up with all the construction and no signage? After Clay asked some man for directions, we finally found the ibis Hotel at 6 Hunter Square just off the Royal Mile, near the intersection with Cockburn. It was straight uphill crooked Cockburn Street that we walked. It was about a 35 % grade. I couldn’t make it, I was wheezing and my muscles were burning and Clay had to pull both suitcases behind him up the hill! My hero.

This ibis Hotel was very like the one in London, so it felt familiar. We had booked this online from home too and had prepaid for the room.  It was £83.70 for the 2 of us for one night. This room had a shower stall only instead of a shower over tub. But, it still had the elevated floor. We checked directly in and took the bags to the fifth floor. We’re in 501 and overlooked Hunter Square. It was very noisy all night.

We walked up the Royal Mile to the Edinburgh Castle and paid to tour it. It cost £16.00 for me and Clay got a Senior discount and paid £12.80. We did the included guided tour to the top and then walked back down going in all the buildings.

On the way up to the Castle, Clay found another Mackies of Scotland ice cream and had a cone. It was a glorious day, with bright sunshine and about 80° F.

We left the castle about 40 minutes before they closed it up. We headed back downhill to the ibis and looked for a place to eat. We chose an Italian restaurant near the hotel, Bella Italia. Clay had a sausage and pepperoni pizza that was thin and good. I had Pollo Milanese. We shared with each other. For dessert, Clay had chocolate gelato and I had honeycomb gelato. We walked back to the ibis and got ready for a 4:30am wake up call to get to the airport on time in the morning.

Disaster strikes. I could not find my brown leather case that holds my Relief Band, MotionEaze and Ear Planes for flying. I was already worried about flying with one side of my head like a drum and deaf in the left ear. Somehow we lost it. It is just gone. But, we spent an hour unpacking and searching everything for it before concluding that. Tears were shed. I don’t know how I’ll manage the transatlantic flight. I don’t even know if Relief Bands are manufactured anymore. I am sure I had the last pocket size tube of conductivity gel in that case. Also, even though I have a backup one at home, I don’t have any more gel and that one is the touch control kind, not the dial kind and I don’t like that because you can turn it on and off too easily by bumping your wrist on something. Oh, well.

On that unhappy note, we went to bed.

Photos