Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 1, 2012 - Day 3 Disney Wonder to Hawaii


Here are scanned copies of today's Personal Navigator. You should be able to click them and view them larger and hopefully be able to read them!

I am coughing badly and choking up big gobs of yellow phlegm this morning! I didn't bring any medicine for something like this since I just got over bronchitis in March from the Antarctica trip. I'm riding it out for now and seeing how it goes. I have already lost my voice. It is something about me and ships, happens every time.

The seas are calmer today. All the dinner help told us their whole time during the Mexican Riviera season it has been like that the first day. That sailing in and out of LA is rough. So something to look forward to.

They have stargazing on the Navigator schedule today at 10:30pm on the very top deck. I don't know that we will go, but I'm impressed they are doing it since you usually have to beg for it on every ship we've sailed but one before this.

At our Character Breakfast in Parrot Cay this morning, we got photos taken with our camera of us with Goofy, Pluto, Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale. Hans said we could order whatever we wanted whether it was on the menu or not and gave Eggs Benedict as an example, so that is what I ordered. It was good. They put napkins on our heads. Clay got a whole tablecloth drape and said it was warm. I was jealous, because its freezing on this ship! Oh, so the character's handlers take your picture with your own camera. Just a note for anyone who hasn't done this before, don't be disappointed, take your own camera because there is no professional photographer there. Chip's handler saw Bob and she said "Is that Bob?" Yes, it is. How did you know? "Oh, I heard all about Bob!" Everyone loves Bob! Now, Bob is famous, or infamous, or notorious, not sure which, already on a ship with about 2000 passengers and 1000 crews on day 3's morning! Who told her about Bob? Cinderella? Anyway, we really enjoyed the Character Breakfast notwithstanding the napkins on the head. You will be able to get better photos with characters onboard, but you won't get them any more easily than just have a meal and waiting! Oh, loved all the great Hawaiian clothes they were wearing!

After breakfast, we walked forward and happened on Christiaan and Leslie filming their morning show, so we stood and watched for a while.We also checked out the games (who plays Jenga at sea!) and minuscule Internet area there. Then Clay went to a second destination lecture that he reported was just as badly done as the first one. He says he won't give the guy another chance. Then he went to a Tandoori chicken cooking demo. (Note: per Clay if you don't arrive about 15 to 20 minutes early, you don't get into these cooking demos! This was the only one he was able to get in during the 2 weeks, all the rest were filled by the time he arrived.) I went to watch Peter Pan, the original movie in Buena Vista Theater (hereafter BVT). I liked it and there were only about 30 other people in there. I sat rows away from everyone, but then 2 families cam and sat within 6 seats of me and didn't like it when I coughed. Sorry! I was self-isolating until you piled on me. After I got back to the cabin, I had a monster coughing fit that ended with vomiting up breakfast and tears. I feel terrible, but at least the seas have really calmed down.

We went up to the pool deck for lunch, I was hoping to keep myself self-isolated and not cough on anyone. It worked this time. We went to Goofy's Landing and I got a half panini of mozzarella and ham and a Granny Smith apple. Clay got a half panini of tomato, pesto and mozzarella and a salad. Clay went and got us drinks. He had a cup of chocolate and banana soft serve ice cream. The paninis might have tasted good, but they were premade and had gotten soggy. You couldn't pick them up, but had to cut them with a plastic knife and fork. I wonder if the pools are heated? I was very cold out there at lunch and all those kids were running around wet! (Yes, I later learned the pools stay at 84 to 89 degrees F.)

After lunch, I went back to bed after finding that my temperature had finally spiked to 100.4 degrees F. Clay was off to sun himself on Deck 7 aft. Then he planned to go to Don "Ducky" Williams sketch seminar. Then to watch Citizen Kane in BVT. I started taking Claritin and Advil which is all I have with me. I could really use a cough suppressant, but I didn't see any in the shop and I'd rather not go to the Doctor onboard. I am hoping to make it to dinner tonight. We are in Animator's Palate again, but this time is the color show. I have looked forward to it since I first heard about it so fingers crossed. The WDT show tonight is Comedy & Mystery of Guy Bavli. I don't know about that. Christiaan liked the movie Real Steel, which is shown at BVT at 8pm. Or, Dolphin Tale finally appeared as per the printed schedule this afternoon and a showing should start at 8pm. We'll see. Fever up to 100.9 with Advil so that's not looking good for going out at all.

Clay said Ducky Williams said we would all have an opportunity to have him sign our Inaugural Hawaii lithograph from last night's bed gifts.

Tonight we had the black and white to color show in Animator's Palate at dinner. Sorcerer Mickey was there. It was pretty amazing. I had the best menu with an action hologram of Lady and the Tramp's spaghetti kiss! Clay ordered smoked salmon salad and a veal chop followed by Warm Apple Crumble. He said it was the best dessert yet. (Am I alone in thinking this is his first dessert that wasn't a sundae?) I had bacon and cheddar potato soup that I found far too salty. I had the Asian beef tenderloin with wasabi mashed potatoes and for dessert, double chocolate fudge cake. It was the exact same cake as last night's flourless chocolate cake but served with a chocolate wedge and a single perfect raspberry. First raspberry!

We plan to watch the movie Dolphin Tale on TV in our cabin. We move the clocks back another hour tonight. Clay brought me hot chocolate in bed from the deck 9 self service beverage station. I am freezing!

Tomorrow afternoon is the Disboards Hawaiian shirts photo op at 4pm in the atrium lobby, deck 3. That's all we have planned yet. The newsletter for tomorrow isn't out yet.

Photos