Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

April 30, 2012 - Day 2 Disney Wonder to Hawaii


Here are scanned copies of today's Personal Navigator. You should be able to click them and view them larger and hopefully be able to read them!

The seas and our ride got really rough overnight. Also it got very windy, cool and cloudy. We must be in big swells as the sea does not appear that rough. We are really having some big rocks and rolls. Things fell last night and doors were slamming. Now we keep the doors latched. There are 2 little bathrooms. One has a toilet and a sink and some corner shelves (that one is mine, or where I keep my toothbrush). One has a sink and a shower over tub (that one is Clay's or where he keeps his toothbrush). Those doors and the sliding closet doors were slamming.

The rough motion is disturbingly random. There is minor roughness that would be tolerable and then after 6 to 8 to 12 little rocks there will be a 2 to 3 foot roll that will just send you across the room or into a seat. We hear this may last 2 or 3 days! I hope not. I am in bed this morning hoping to either adjust to this or else I'll have to wait for conditions to change. I feel sad that I'm missing things out there like movies and Donald and Daisy. Also, the TV movies are not playing according to the schedule they provided. And, how does Disney NOT have movies on demand?!? At these prices, on vacation on a Disney cruise ship, you are at the mercy of their schedule? And then the schedule is NOT even correct?! Really? Am I missing something? How is this possible? Or acceptable? I know I am pretty cranky right now, but seriously!

Clay went out for breakfast which did not start anywhere before 7AM! (This proved a pattern for the entire cruise! I guess we have been spoiled with adult-oriented cruises and their early riser breakfasts.) He also went to a destination lecture. He brought back yogurt, a Coke and an apple. He says he wants a brat for lunch, so I've requested he bring me chicken fingers. I did get some hand laundering done and now I need a nap. Clay says the out of order sign is now off our hallway's laundry room. That is good. I am holding out hope that I can make it up and out to Formal night and Captain's welcome tonight which for us is in Animator's Palate and tonight's show is Toy Story the Musical.

Noon: Captain's announcement. There are 1928 or so passengers and 300 or so are children. We've covered 320 some nautical miles. It is 60 degrees F, still overcast but improving. We are making 20 knots and on schedule. These are normal open sea conditions for the area. We should expect the same tomorrow. All pools are empty because of the high waves on deck 9. We turn our clocks back one hour tonight! An extra hour to sleep! Captain is Fabian Dib, Cruise Director is Christiaan, Asst. CD is Leslie.

The sun is out this afternoon.

There is a shortage of electrical outlets in our cabin. I don't know how I missed knowing that up front after all the reading I've been doing about Disney cruises and the ships. We could use a small powerstrip, but then I guess we might not have brought one anyway with the small amount of luggage we allowed ourselves. One outlet is lost at the desk by the plug used for the Wave phone recharger. The 110 outlet in the toilet room doesn't work with a 4-watt nightlight bulb. Sadly. It will work in the one outlet in the tub/shower room which doesn't help a lot with going to the bathroom at night! We found we can use the outlet behind the TV and the space below for recharging our own batteries and devices.

I have developed postnasal drip and am now getting a sore throat on top of seasickness. Not looking good...

Good news is the bed is quite comfortable. It is made up with a top sheet (great for Clay!) and a duvet which I like.

4pm I managed to get up and showered and dressed by 4:30pm. Clay and I went down and applied the Disney Visa Rewards gift cards I had collected to our onboard account. Then we came back up to the cabin and dressed for formal night. Heels were tricky but I did not seem any worse off than anyone else. Still, making a mental note to find some dressy flats! We had a Taste of California menu in the Animator's Palate. I had potato croquettes and a tenderloin steak without shrimp. Clay had a California roll and a maple glazed pork tenderloin. We shared a Chocolate Long Beach sundae and a chocolate flourless cake. Again all the food was good to us.

We walked through the art gallery, which seems to change daily, to kill some time and met CINDERELLA! I confess I gasped out loud! She smiled and spoke to us, she held Bob and said he was about the size of her mice. I told her, and just as clever. So she held him up and gave him a good eye-to-eye look. "Wonder"ful! I was so flustered and shocked to just run into Cinderella (I wasn't even sure who she was until she started talking about her mice!) that I didn't even ask to see her shoes!

Before dinner, we hung out in the atrium for the Captain's welcome and saw Mickey and Minnie and Goofy in their formal finery.

I got to meet Pluto and he gestured for me to put Bob on his snout after he gave him a kiss on the nose. Pluto flipped Bob in the air and I caught him. Pluto was very soft, I wanted to flip him over and give him a belly rub! I suppose that might be frowned upon. Clay finally agreed with me about Goofy when he asked, What's the difference between Pluto and Goofy? I know, right? They look like the same dog except Goofy has 2 teeth, talks and wears clothes and giant shoes. Pluto is Mickey's pet dog. Goofy has a son named Max, but where is Mrs. Goofy? What is up with that? I avoid Goofy, he freaks me out a little.

We went to the shops tonight and spent some of our onboard credit on a t-shirt like Clay's for me ($34.95) and a t-shirt/ballcap bundle for Clay ($29.95).

We went to Toy Story the Musical in the Walt Disney Theater at 8:30pm. It was pretty amazing. We had planned to stay for the adults only Mike Super magic show, but didn't. We changed out of our formal wear before the show and Clay took a beer to the show and I took my water bottle to sip to keep from coughing. Clay slept through most of Toy Story and I had to pee after all the water! So, we went back to the cabin and to bed.

Tonight at bed time, we found a limited edition Don "Ducky" Williams lithograph on our bed for our Inaugural Hawaii sailing. We had actually just noticed that picture framed and displayed on an easel in the art walk area. It is Donald and Goofy on the beach watching 2 hula girls with Wonder offshore behind them. We are freaked out by Goofy's toes! (We got Ducky Williams to sign it and we found a perfect fit 11x14 inch frame in black and gold at A.C. Moore for $8! It is hanging in our hall with all our other travel-purchased art.)

Clocks back one hour tonight and tomorrow night. This will be much harder on the way back! Tomorrow morning at 8am is our character breakfast in Parrot Cay restaurant. We are hoping the seas calm down by then.

Photos