Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Monday, February 27, 2017

On to Queenstown

Photos

We could sleep in today! So breakfast was in full swing today when we got down there.

We had a pickup at the Novotel at 10am for the Rotorua Airport. This airport is a trip. One small building contains everything. There is no security clearance. Just walk in the front door and out the back door onto the tarmac. I think there are 3 gates. But no security!

We got to the airport by 10:30am. We were picked up at the Novotel by a small 20-passenger bus with a luggage trailer! As I told Clay, I have no idea what this is costing us. I was firm with Kensington Tours from day 1 that we wanted all transfers included otherwise what was the point of booking a tour if I had to find transportation on the ground each time. So our flight this morning is to Christchurch. Our driver this morning assumed we were flying back to Auckland to get to Queenstown. I guess Rotorua to Queenstown is one of those you can't get there from here propositions. I find it surprising that Kensington/Pacific Destinations books tours this way since they should know. We agreed to book our own flights and did not know it until after the tour was locked in. Then we found out it would take multiple flights. Lesson learned.

So, here it is 10 of 11am for a flight departing at 12:20pm and boarding at 12:10am. We've got our bags checked, no security to clear and we've shopped the souvenir shop and been to the café. Clay checked all our power supplies/adapters so I'm down to about 20 minutes of battery time left and must go for now.

We should be in Queenstown on the South Island by about 6pm. We have an airport transfer to our hotel for the next 2 days at the Queenstown Lakeside Novotel. Fingers crossed we get another nice room since the names are the same. We have 2 nights but literally no free time in Queenstown and I am not sure how I let that happen except that I assume I thought we'd have a half day to sightsee today not knowing it would take all day to get there! Tomorrow we have a 13-hr. boat sightseeing tour of Milford Sound. Spend the night and leave again the following morning. If I'd been more attentive, we'd have spent some time seeing Queenstown. Oh, well.

I'll assume the rest of the day will be unremarkable and post this now while I can. If something happens, I'll come back and update or write about it tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

Our flights were on  prop planes! It's been a long time since that happened.

I am in Christchurch airport. It is huge compared to Rotorua. We found a fast food Chinese place and shared a very good dozen fried dumplings. We had a caramel slice for dessert.

Arrival at Queenstown was on time  and seamless. We got checked right in at the Novotel which is very conveniently situated. We were told that we had a complimentary upgrade to a top floor view room. It is not a great view but it is a nice room. We walked along the lake front and up the pedestrian mall where we picked a pub for dinner. Hadn't had that yet. It was ok. Had ice cream on the lakefront for dessert. Long day. Late night. Early morning tomorrow.

Photos