Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 1 Seattle

Photos

Alaska Trip Notes - at last!
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

We were up at 4am today and out of the house at 5am. We drove to Syncfusion and Clay’s co-worker Jake drove us on to RDU and parked Clay’s car back at the office. There was absolutely no line at security this morning and we walked through the whole process pretty quickly and sat near our departure gate to await departure. Clay asked me if I wanted breakfast and I walked around and decided not. I had a glass of juice before leaving home. We both read the newspaper and then it was time to board. The nonstop flight to LAX was about 2/3 empty. We had also paid extra to get the economy plus seats or whatever they were calling the seats with extra space. Anyway, the whole plane except the full business class section each had a row of 3 seats to themselves if they wanted it. I walked all the way to the back about 3 hours into the flight and all but a couple of parents with small children were asleep in rows to themselves. It was great. It was a smooth and painless flight. I lay down across my 3 seats and slept for at least half the flight. I think I saw us cross the Mississippi River before I pulled my window shade down and I think I saw the Grand Canyon a little after I woke up. They served us Cokes and cookies at the beginning and end of the flight. The plane was very cold!

We got to LAX early by about 20 minutes. We had to ask where to find our next flight because it was not on a departure board. Since we were ticketed through Alaska Air and this was a Delta plane we had to change terminals for our Alaska flight to Seattle. We landed at Terminal 5 and walked through an underground tunnel to Terminal 6 and found our gate. Clay went and bought a brat sandwich and I shared a few bites. I walked away from my new blue rolling Samsonite suitcase and almost boarded the plane without it! A woman who was sitting next to me went and told an airline employee and he came and queried me about it. I didn’t even realize I was without my suitcase! Getting too infirm to travel!

This flight to Seattle was packed. They said they had equipment problems with the first flight of the morning to Seattle and had to cancel that flight and that most of those passengers had been moved to our flight so it was jam packed. Clay let me have the window seat and he took the middle seat. It was a little rougher and warmer and stuffier, but it was also shorter. It was about an hour and a half. We flew over Crater Lake!

In Seattle, we walked toward baggage claim looking for signs to the Sound Transit Link Light Rail train into Downtown Seattle. Signage was sparse but we knew we needed to cross a sky bridge into the parking deck to find it and once we were inside the parking garage there was plenty of signage and you couldn’t miss it. It was about a 15 minute walk to the train. You buy your tickets from an ATM-like machine on the wall and then go upstairs to the trains. They take cash or credit cards. There is nowhere to scan your tickets or anything; you just have to have a ticket to show for random checks onboard. We didn’t see any ticket checkers though.

The train starts out elevated then it travels in the middle of a road and then it enters a tunnel that it goes in and out of the rest of the way to the end of the line. There are 13 stations in all. We had to travel the entire length of the Link Light system from SEATAC to Westlake Station so our fare was $2.75 each. The ride had 11 stops and lasted about 38 minutes. We exited Westlake Station at 5th Avenue and turned left and walked up a slight incline for about 2 blocks or 5 minutes to arrive at the Red Lion Inn. We came out by Nordstrom’s and right across the street was the Monorail Terminal too.


The Red Lion Inn is very nice and very conveniently located. We booked online with an AARP rate and paid for 2 nights a total of $475.64. We are in room 1104 and have a partial view of the waterfront and Pike Place Market. We have a full view of the Hard Rock CafĂ©. The Pike Place Market is about an 8 minute walk downhill from here. We have 2 queen sized beds, a desk, a chair and ottoman, a small refrigerator and a Keurig machine. There is a big flat screen TV with a poor selection of channels and free wifi Internet. The bathroom is marble with a shower over tub and the tub floor is a couple inches higher than the bathroom floor. Why do they do that? It is very awkward, but it wasn’t a disabling or dangerous height difference for either of us. We got some restaurant recommendations from the front desk and headed out for the afternoon shortly after check in. It was hotter and much more humid here than we expected.

We walked down to Pike Place Market and stopped at the Information Kiosk and picked up a free Guide to the Pike Place Market. I had printed out a Frommer’s walking tour, too. So we tried to follow that. I think we saw most of what we wanted to see. We arrived first at Rachel the Pig by actually following the cloven hoof prints of brass inlaid in the sidewalk to it. Clay told me to put Bob up there and we both panicked when we realized that I only had my purse and Bob was still clipped to my backpack in the hotel room. Bob was pretty steamed at me and Clay was beginning to think I am losing my wits entirely. Bob was pretty pissed at us for causing him to miss the first day in Seattle.   Bob can hold a grudge. 



We saw some fish tossing through the crowds behind Rachel the Pig and down the stairs right by Rachel you can go down to a cobblestoned alley and see the Gum Wall. This was pretty crowded too and as disgusting if not more than the fish. We walked around the stalls of produce and flowers and crafts, past Chukar Cherries where we were verbally assaulted by a very aggressive staff member who did not want to take a no to her offer of free samples, or a free tote bag.



We crossed Pike Place and I got a red bean sesame bun at MeeSum Pastries and Clay had an almond cookie. I got a sesame seed in my bra! We looked at the cinnamon buns at Cinnamon Works. We crossed Pine St. and went into Beecher’s Cheese and bought a small tub of fresh curds. Then we walked on down Pike Place past the 2nd ever location of Starbucks coffee where I put Jeremy’s birthday card into a mailbox. We went in Piroshky Piroshky and bought a meat and cheese piroshky to share. (If you can imagine and we had looked at the menu at Wild Ginger on the way down and decided to go there for dinner at 5pm!) We crossed Pike Place again and walked down to Steinbrueck Park and sat on some stools overlooking the waterfront. We just about got a contact high as we sat there and ate. I didn’t like the piroshky much, it had too many onions in it for my taste. I ate some and some cheese curds.  



We went back through the market again and it was getting less crowded. We walked around downstairs some more and found some more art, a giant squid and a wooden Sasquatch. We stopped at Bottega Italiana and each had a small gelato. They were good. Clay had pistachio and I had salted caramel with chocolate chips. Yummy! Clay finished mine and thought it was better than his.



We headed out for dinner at Wild Ginger. It is huge inside and there was hardly anyone there at 5pm so we did not need reservations. We shared 4 chicken potstickers. Clay had a local beer and I had water. Then I had 7 flavor beef with jasmine rice and Clay had Mongolian noodles. We shared. I didn’t really like anything. I didn’t even like the chopsticks which were too bulky at the top and too pointy at the bottom, so were too difficult to use. I guess maybe I just wasn’t that hungry anymore and I was too hot, tired and sweaty. We skipped dessert and walked back to the Red Lion. We had ordered all small portions, so that was a good option but I still think it just wasn’t that good!

I had sweated so much I needed to wash my bra and blouse to wear for the next flying day. Clay also wanted his shirt washed. We both had showers. I flipped through the TV channels and found the movie The Proposal just starting. We thought that was topical since we are on our way to Sitka. So we watched most of it, me more than Clay! But, I had to go to sleep before it ended. We both know how it ends anyway and it also wasn't filmed in Sitka! We both had a good night’s sleep and were up around 6:45am.