Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, November 23, 2012

To Churchill

Photos

Sorry the photos are out of order. Photobucket sucks!

Monday, November 12, 2012 - High 16°F Low  0°F 

We had a 4:45am wake up call for lobby meet with pastries and coffee at 5:50am and departure at 6am for 7am boarding of a Calm Air flight that was slightly delayed. We all had to check rolling bags because it was a very small 2 by 2 configuration. We also all had to have all our bags weighed. We took off at 7:45am. They served a full breakfast with fruit cup, yogurt, croissant with butter and jam, and an egg and cheese omelet with Canadian bacon and potatoes and drinks. Evidently, this hot food is only served on the jet which is also an hour faster flight time. The turboprop or jet equipment for this flight is luck of the draw and the turboprop flight lasts an hour longer and only gets the cold meals. The jet flight from Winnipeg to Churchill lasts about an hour and a half, and the turboprop flight lasts and 2 1/2 hours.

We drove around Churchill and got out to see Hudson Bay and a big inukshuk with the polar bear warning sign. There were tracks into the rocks behind the sign! Patrick decided to take us to Gypsy's to lunch early and then to take the helicopter rides today since the sun was out. Clay had the special pork lunch sandwich with fries. I had the special Portuguese sausage (not in the sandwich) and poutine on the side. I had a long john for dessert.

Then, Pat drove us to Hudson Bay Helicopters. I did not go on the helicopter. Clay got a front seat and declared it the smoothest helicopter ride he ever had. They said the saw more than 20 polar bears out at Cape Churchill. The 2nd group went an hour after the first group. Pat took us to the Eskimo Museum for an hour. I went back to the museum for a 2nd hour visit while the 2nd group took their helicopter rides in ever worsening weather. It was snowing by 2pm and almost dark at 3:30pm or so!

We got to the Aurora Inn about that time and our bags were in our 2 story apartments. We unpacked and then went shopping.  That was good. The bad news is that I don't think there is a level surface in our hotel room. I feel like I'm in a fun house. Our favorite store was The Arctic Trading Post. It sells locally made products and we bought a framed polar bear made of tufted, dyed caribou hair for $65. Then Clay wanted to go buy Diet Cokes, but at Northern (their discount store) a 12-pack was $10. I pointed out that he could get a Diet Coke that was included in his fare at 3 meals a day and how many more could he drink in the evenings at the hotel. He didn't get any and said they were cheaper at the vending machine in the hotel anyway.

We met for dinner at Gypsy's at 5:50pm and went to a slide show presentation at Mike Macri's photo studio at 7:30. First night's dinner at Gypsy's with Churchill Nature Tours is Arctic Char. But, if you don't want that they have a small fixed menu of other selections they are happy to provide and it is the same menu offered throughout. Somehow our Churchill Nature Tours group has lost our good, wood table privileges. I asked Pat what had happened and he replied it was just luck of the draw but I'm not so sure. I had a 1/2 roast chicken with pasta pomodoro instead of the evening's scheduled arctic char. Those that had the char said it was closest to sole in flavor and to salmon in texture.

At the slide show, I got stuck in my parka and delayed the start. Embarrassing. I was having trouble zipping it in Gypsy's and so Clay came over and yanked the zipper up and it caught fabric inside so I couldn't unzip it now. I was struggling and Clay was trying to help and finally, Kim who was sitting on our row got up to come over and try to help me. I was red faced by then as they turned the lights back on and I said I would take it off over my head so, the show could go on. I told Kim she could still help free the cloth from the zipper. I tripped my way down my row and to the side of the room and started wiggling out of the partially open coat. I think Pat came over to me and pulled it loose once I was mostly out, but someone(s) started the stripping song. I got out of the coat in time to see Pat and Mike exchange a look. We were all laughing and Pat told Mike, and this is their first night. Mike replied, what have we got ourselves into? I wasn't the clown the whole trip, but I think it did start everyone good-naturedly joking with each other for the duration. The slide show was over about 8:15pm. Mike had some pretty amazing photos. We went straight back to the hotel and to bed after a long day. One guy went out to a local tavern since the liquor store was closed today for Veterans Day, or Remembrance Day or whatever they call it here.

Tomorrow is our first day on the tundra. I can't wait to see polar bears! Pat pointed out today where we will be getting our Polar Rovers from Great White Bear Tours and it is a different company than Tundra Buggy, whose webcam I have been following. I hope it won't make any difference. I bought a book today written by the guy whose blog I have been following, Polar Bear Alley. That was cool.

Note: this looks like some heavy dining at Gypsy's! It really was and the carb load from the irresistible pastry case had to be bad for me. But, I am happy to report that I did not gain any weight for the week. I was worried about it because in addition to the extreme cold, I had been warned that I would gain weight. Luckily, they were wrong about that! My theory is all the heavy food and sweets were offset by all the shivering in the sub-freezing temperatures.

Photos