Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, January 31, 2020

Santo Tomas, Guatemala



We arrived right on schedule at 8 am. This was not a new country for us. We’d had a port stop on the Pacific side of the isthmus in the past. I hate to categorically state this is the dirtiest place I’ve ever been, but if it isn’t then it is still in the top 3. That company includes dirt roads in Kenya and the coal transporting highway to Hanoi in Vietnam. I only consider this dirtier because we were only out there for an hour! I left all my jewelry in the safe but wore my watch. I blackened a washcloth scrubbing the dirt caked on it when we returned! Our guide today told us that the main industry here is bananas. Chiquita ships internationally out of Puerto Barrios. I am unsure where all the fine black grit originates.

Today we paid $29 each for an hour-long open-air trolley bus ride from the commercial port at Santo Tomas to the closest large town of Puerto Barrios. Tour description is pasted below. The two are adjacent and the part we toured was maybe 5 miles away. The tour included up to 3 beverages per person! We took one beer (Gallo) each for later since we started out at 9:30 am. Within minutes of setting out, we were covered in a fine black grit. It stuck well to both sunscreen and sweat! I made the mistake of applying the hand sanitizer at the port terminal building and my hands looked like I changed the oil in the car. The tour was probably about worth what we paid. Luis, the guide, handed out maps of Guatemala to each couple as well as a nice little fabric bag of frightfully primitive paper, mud and fabric worry dolls. We've had nice worry dolls in the past. I kept the bags and threw the dolls out because, dirt.

Trolley Town Tour
1 hour
$29
Ride a unique trolley for a 50-minute ride through from the Port of Santo Tomas through the simple streets of Puerto Barrios, the nearest town. Your guide provides a narration on the history and folklore. Depending on traffic, we'll stop at one or two local attractions including the colorful local graveyard perfect for some unique pictures.

Note: Participants must be at least 18 years of age to consume alcohol. A maximum of 3 cold alcoholic drinks (usually beer) or soft drinks per person are included.

End of tour description.  

It was unbearably humid and other than the terminal buildings' artisan market there was nothing near the dock. We had a short day here and were glad of it. I found everything I wanted to shop for in the many vendors at the port. They were just shy of too aggressive for us to stay and shop. I bought another shirt similar to the last one I bought in Guatemala. Let’s hope this one survives a first launder to be worn. The first one fit me over a t-shirt but the first time I laundered it in cold water with no machine dry, it shrank so much I couldn’t button it. I bought today’s shirt a full size too large, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed.

We had breakfast and lunch in Terrace. We have a 6 pm dinner reservation at Jacques tonight. We also have an Oceania Club cocktail invitation tonight for 5:45 pm. I don’t know if we’ll try to squeeze that in or not. We can always hope to make it on one of the next 2 cruises.

Sorry about the delays posting photos. We’ve had super slow and intermittent Internet for the past 2 days. Oceania includes one Internet access per cabin, so we must take turns. It worked out fine the first few days but not so well once the Internet became problematic.

About 5:20 pm, the CD came over the loudspeakers to announce that tomorrow's port of Harvest Caye, Belize had just become a tender port. He said very recently another cruise ship had damaged the pier and it was still unsafe. We have a 5 hour tour there tomorrow that was already scheduled to begin with a 30-minute boat transfer to mainland Belize. Fingers crossed they'll just pick us up at the ship now! About 5:40 pm, a troupe of local musicians and dancers appeared on the dock to perform for the ship. We are still not to all aboard of 6:30 pm nor 7 pm sailaway. So it is not clear why now. But it is a nice cultural gesture.