Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Prague Day 3

Photos

Last night I put Clay in charge of planning for today as I was blogging before bed time. I know he sent me a restaurant link for dinner tonight. I thought he said we get an early start to buy transit passes and visit the palace with the squares open at 7:30 am. So when he was still snoring at 7:30 am I just got up and started the day. When he caught up, he told me the palace is for Monday and he'd decided to get 2 24-hour transit passes for me. None for him as he read that people over 70 just have to have proof of age. OK. He had on the docket Wenceslaus Square and one of the world's deepest Metro stations, back to nap in the afternoon and out for dinner. We walked to the square from the bottom to the top. It turned out that the M station at the bottom, Mustek is the closest to our hotel. At the top of the square is Museum station. When I say bottom to top, I mean it is uphill. Not a flat square. Wenceslaus is supposedly the statue mounted on a horse but I walked all the way around it and never saw his name on it. Disappointing. We walked downstairs and validated one of my passes that we'd bought at Mustek. We rode to Namesti Miru,  Prague's deepest Metro station. We surfaced to find Peace Square and St. Ludmilla's where they had the longest bell ringing call to service we'd ever witnessed. Since all this had taken less than 2 hours we rode out to the end of the Metro line. It was above ground, on the surface. After walking outside there, we rode back to Mustek. About 4 stops in, Metro ticket police enter our car and took along one transit thief. Yesterday's Segway guide insisted on paying for Clay to avoid a problem like that. Historically we have found in Europe (or anywhere really that free senior fares are limited to local citizens but Clay insisted it was anyone over 70 years of age). So when the transit cop got to us I was searching my purse and Clay went to pull out his drivers license when the guy took a look at us and waved us off without checking. They exited the car at the next stop with their scofflaw. Clay said he felt a little insulted since he felt he barely qualified. I said imagine how I feel! At Mustek we surfaced to look for lunch. We wound up sharing a caramel trdlo. I think chimney cake is the English. We first had these in Budapest but here they are everywhere and garnished, not plain. The Czechs have raised the bar. It was divine with caramel. We went back to our first gelato place and each had a cone to finish our lunch. I decided that even with my sore throat that if we nap and then go out for dinner that we should go to this evening's St. Giles concert. So we bought tickets and then had to find the Bancomat again for more cash! It opens at 8 pm. About 5 pm, we'll leave for dinner at Mincovna. The plan is the order the 2nd and 3rd main dishes on the menu.

Dinner tonight was our best yet. Really good food and about $9 each for a small serving that we could finish. We had about an hour and a half to kill time between dinner and the concert. Across the street was a little fake train sightseeing tram that was leaving at 6:45 pm to return at 7:45 pm. We had plenty of time plus time to walk back to the church before 8:15 pm start. It was an easy method of killing an hour. We learned the Prague's palace complex took 1000 years and is the largest in the world. It is mostly government buildings now as I understood it. I don't know what we'll see tomorrow. It is daunting and all on a steep hillside. The concert was enjoyable if the 1738 (or something like that) carved wooden pews left some comfort to be desired.

It was hot again today but a bit less crowded.

Photos