Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Sunday, October 15, 2017

We're Home

Sorry. I guess I just kind of fell out of touch here. We arrived early in Miami. The ship cleared about 15 minutes behind schedule. It was another of those hurry up and get out of here disembarkations. We were sorry to say good bye to our cabin steward Joseph, who has been excellent. We were still outside before our predicted 9am at the curb. Matt & Mom had left Bonita Springs early but that was good as it gave them time to get lost. It was complicated by the fact that O's Sirena was also docked at the Port of Miami. The area around the port and airport is a ridiculous complex of little surface streets that end and begin and are closed for construction or one way. It was crazy. Clay and I had our GOES appointment at 10:30am at MIA. We figured from 9am to 10:30am would be plenty of time. I think it took us almost an hour to cover the 12 miles or so. Anyway, we arrived early and they took us right away. Clay went first. He stood at a counter while I sat in a chair a couple of feet behind him. His interviewer had a very accusatory tone as she questioned him about his visit to Libya for work and then Albania for pleasure. She asked him if he had ever been arrested or charged with anything for any reason at any time, ever ever. I could feel him sweat even though he knew he was innocent. As I have a charge as a minor that ought to have been expunged from my adult record, I was wondering how I would reply. As it turns out the man next to her called be up. He skipped almost directly from friendly chit chat type questions to my photograph and fingerprints. I think it was because his print scanner was dirty but he thought it was my Parkinson's Disease, he had to try 3 times before he got fingerprints that went through. He was so flustered that he just approved me and sent me on my way after that. I cannot imagine why CLT has no appointments for months.

Shortly after we got to Mom's house, I suffered a relapse of the respiratory infection I started this trip with in the Pacific North West. I started coughing, drowning in snot and finally spiked a fever the day we went to Orlando for La Nouba. Yesterday's flights didn't help me feel any better other than arriving back home.

We had a good visit at Mom's. We had a lot of good dinners out. It was great to see Judy who we picked up and dropped off in Sebring on our way to and from Orlando. We stayed at Springhill Suites and though the layout was different than Sumter, we still really liked it. That was the end of our free nights earned from the Marriott chain from our $1800/night Thanksgiving with a Macy's Parade view stay last year. I think we all really enjoyed La Nouba again and it was bittersweet to know the show is ending its run in December.

I thought Clay was being too prissy when he insisted on flying first class home from RSW. I would have rented a car one way but it would have cost as much as the one way first class flights! So, I didn't have a strong argument. In the event, I was so relieved we were in first class. Both flights, RSW to CLT and CLT to RDU were overbooked and every seat was filled. I felt so awful, that any bit of ease or comfort was a mercy. The flights were only 1.5 and .5 hours though so first class still felt like an absurd luxury however happy I was to have it.

So, we're home for a while. We're certainly home until I am recovered from whatever infection I have. I only hope I didn't transmit it to any of our family or friends!