Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, July 21, 2017

Canton Ohio to Charleston West Virginia

photos

We slept well even with the little square pillows and the uncomfortably damp air in our cheap Quality Inn room.  I think we were just really tired plus we'd had a late rich meal. There is also the issue of my new medication which may be making me so tired. Dr. Carnes had me on 1mg Neupro patches for 2 weeks. Yesterday I doubled to 2mg patches. In 2 more weeks I am supposed to double to my target dose of 4mg. One problem is that evidently the size of the patch doubles with each increase! I guess inconveniently sized patches should be the least of my worries.

We got up early hoping to beat the teen football team to breakfast and just did. We left early so they could have our seats. The hot & cold buffet was good. We have been passing a lot of Bob Evans!

We got to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as they were just opening. They had almost all the parking covered with giant tents they were setting up for an event so there was a snafu with parking but it worked out. Clay had purchased our tickets and parking online in advance. We pretty much walked right in. It was more interesting than I had expected. We spent 2 hours.

As we were driving south on I-77 I asked Clay where he had put his tablet since it wasn't where he had put it each day. He didn't know. Now exits were scarce. After what seemed like a long time, we got off and found the tablet loose in the trunk. That was the best possible outcome since the other possibilities had been atop the car or by the TV at the Quality Inn! We stopped for lunch in Cambridge, OH for lunch. We joined a bunch of antique car owners at Mr. Lee's American Restaurant. It was good but it took longer than we expected. We had somewhere to be in West Virginia by 3pm! It was raining as we crossed the state line so no photos of the sign. It was only the 2nd time we have had a few hours of rain the whole trip. It rained between Chicago and Cleveland that afternoon we drove that stretch. We are spending the night tonight at the Four Points by Sheratonn in Charleston, WV. But a few miles beyond was something interesting I'd found online. We headed straight to J.Q. Dickinson Salt Works. It was fascinating. They gave us a private tour even though we arrived a few minutes after 3pm so it worked out. We drove back past the WV Capitol building to get to the hotel. It turns out they have no complimentary parking. I guess the website didn't mention that or Clay would never have chosen it. Otherwise it is very nice. We are on the 9th floor with a view of the parking garage.

We couldn't come to an agreement about where to eat dinner or what to eat. I finally conceded to Pies and Pints that Clay was pushing because it was so close and mine was a 20 minute walk or as I said we have a car. Anyway, we walked out the front door and there was a street fair with live music out along the river! We were surprised, though I guess they do it every Friday all summer. We were glad we hadn't arrived later since it was the road we drove here on that was shut down for the street party. It was 6pm and the food trucks weren't open for business until 6:30pm. Clay wanted to eat here. I balked. We walked 20 minutes to Pies and Pints where there was a half hour waitlist to be seated. Since I didn't want pizza anyway, I refused. We walked past a half dozen restaurants to get to that one! We walked back and went to Ichiban. It was just as busy but I think it was much larger and we were seated immediately. I cannot recommend it as the teriyaki chicken wasn't really but it was a full plate of stir fried bell peppers. Clay ordered some gyoza dumplings and a side salad. He had plans for a 4 bone rib serving from a BBQ street vendor when we returned to the Four Points. He had also noticed the Kettle Corn tent even though I pointed out popcorn had taken out his crown. Clay hit on success as he got his ribs and thought he had lucked out. He ate from Dem 2 Brothers & a Grill. Evidently they are very good and popular.

In the morning we'll start our last drive home by looking for a Bob Evans since no breakfast is included here. It will be good to be back home. That may be the new medication talking. I feel very dizzy and unsteady on my feet. It took me 3 days into the 4th day before side effects settled on the 1mg dose so I hope this one even out too. The bad news is that I don't think there is any positive effect on the tremor. If anything, the medication has strengthened or enhanced the tremor. Time will tell.

photos