Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Friday, November 14, 2014

Leaving Sunshine Mountain

Photos

October 24, 2014

We were all up a little later this morning. Clay cooked his biscuits and ham. Delicious! We worked on the doughnuts and the muffins, there was also cereal, yogurt and of course, coffee.

We wandered a bit and all carried rocks to fill in sink holes that keep swallowing them in the driveway. Vivian showed me their little cave near the stream on the far side of the cow pasture. Soon it was time to think about leaving. Warner had a hankering for lunch, so we all pitched in and started the work to clean up and shut down the house for the winter months. Everything came together and we were on the road before noon. We drove looking for barn quilts.

Warner wanted to share a last meal with us at Shatley Springs. There was a crowd when we got there. It was surprising, because it appeared to be a very large place in the middle of nowhere! We put our names on the waitlist and waited. We wandered to see the original spring, the gift shops and to sit and rock. After about 45 minutes we finally got seated. It was worth the wait. They only serve chicken breast, fried as their chicken. They have great mashed potatoes. Well, everything was pretty good and we could see why they draw crowds from miles around. The down side was that the large dining room where we were seated was tilted! The front was a good foot higher than the back. I hate that! Warner and Clay sat on a sideways tilt, which I couldn't have managed. Vivian and I sat leaning back, which was tolerable.

We drove straight on back to Durham then since it was late afternoon by now. Clay and I stopped again at Krispy Kreme on the way home and scored a half dozen Ghostbusters marshmallow crème stuffed doughnuts. That was our dinner!


It was a physically exhausting couple of days for me and I was happy to be back home and in my own bed tonight. I think that might have been true for Clay too. I know he enjoyed himself and had a great birthday. I made him an "official" birthday cake with candles. He had picked the recipe out of Relish magazine for a butterscotch chiffon cake. I did a bad job on the frosting and Clay wound up having to help me out! When we finished it, I made another from the box. His usual request for his b-day cake is white cake with chocolate frosting. I did a nice job on that one, but since it was a week late, no candles.

Photos