Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tremor Update

Well, I had a pretty thorough exam and interview this morning with Dr. Robottom. He thinks it is classic Parkinson's Disease, but the fact that I haven't responded normally to any of the 3 most commonly prescribed treatments troubles him. He had 3 things. One is to test for Wilson's Disease. He says it can present like PD but is treated differently because it is caused by a buildup of copper in the brain. He says if it is WD, it should have shown up on the MRI, but that they can also rule it out with blood and urine tests. So, they drew a vial of blood and I start a 24 hour collection of urine in the morning. Two is to learn some physical therapy exercises to work on muscle tone and battling rigidity. I go tomorrow afternoon and he says I might be asked to return once or twice, but it will be up to me. Three is a prescription for 2mg of Artane or trihexyphenidyl with a 21 day chart for going from a 1/2 pill daily to 3 pills daily. He says if I feel the positive effects at any point in the process I can stop increasing before I get to 3. He also says this is the drug he has the most patients refuse to stay on because of bad side effects like dry mouth, constipation and what he calls fog, mental slowing, trouble thinking or finding words. We'll see. He sent it to Kmart and I probably won't get anything from them before next week if they hold true to form.

We did cover the big picture of the fact that I will not actually ever get better, that whatever it actually is doesn't matter to the fact that it is a progressive disease and the overall goal is just to slow down the progression and help manage the symptoms to maintain my normal lifestyle for as long as possible. We did not discuss what happens when we've gone beyond that. I go back to Dr. Carnes in about a month for follow-up.