Little Bob hits the road

Little Bob hits the road
Little Bob hits the road

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A wonderful Sunday morning

Season's breakfast buffet, part 1
From at Seasons Restaurant on the inn grounds, just a few yards from The Lodge, a buffet breakfast was served. Bob Garner and UNC-TV filmed a segment for “North Carolina Weekend,” featuring Highland Lake Inn’s Country Buffet Breakfast. It included him going through his usual routine of sampling and commenting on the food. He also featured on camera some of us who wanted to comment on the breakfast. This included the guy sitting next to me just as I was finishing up my pancakes, we'll see, but hopefully I am not in the shot. (Oh dang! They got me! http://flash.unctv.org/ncweekend/12232010highlandlakein.html I appear at about the 5 minute mark next to Carl Curry. I appear to be pigging out! It is true that the camera puts on 20 pounds 'cause that cannot be my real double chin!) Outside of the filming, the buffet was really impressive. The cheese grits were extraordinary, very tasty, cheesy and firm, not runny at all. Grits to eat with a fork! The bacon was crispy and smoky tasting. I had the biscuits and sausage gravy and they were delicious. The chef said that she makes her own sausage! The oatmeal was a special concoction with different fruits in there daily, I think she said she had apricots and figs in there, but I didn't try it. Bob raved about it and said he always eats the oatmeal here. It was probably delicious.
L to R, cheese grits, oatmeal, egg & vege casserole


Croissants, biscuits, bacon, potatoes, sausage gravy


Season's breakfast buffet continued...

Bob Garner at work!

all white peacock by the greenhouse
Clay and I walked around the grounds some more after breakfast. We tried the swings again, as well as a porch swing on top of a hill hanging from a tree limb! We walked around the lake and down past the dam to see the reconstructed mill house. It was very scenic. We went down to the organic garden and greenhouse and saw the goats and a turkey and the hens, as well as an all white peacock! Bags to the lobby by 10am and keys turned in then too. The bus was loaded and we headed off shortly after that.



Turkey and hens
Highland Lake
Highland Lake

Clay just above the dam

Dam and Mill house at Highland Lake

Tree swing above Highland Lake